I’m WRITING to embrace uncertainty and live with clarity. Every month, I update my LOGS with my latest batch of half-epiphanies. And if an idea is good enough, I’ll add it to my library of APHORISMS. For some context and a few fun facts, you can read a bit ABOUT me.
I’m also COACHING to help online writers become better self-editors.
The worlds within us are worth exploring, worth revealing. With everything I write, my goal is to help you practice introspection. If you want my essays delivered straight to your inbox, subscribe to The Intronaut. Every issue includes a Springboard, which is a carefully crafted question to help you dive inwards.
My Best APHORISMS
- There is no best way to go, but there is a worst way: to follow.
- Be an intellectual nomad; don’t dwell in dogma.
- Change is the only certainty. To be certain of anything else is to be in denial of change.
- We humans have these infinite concepts of what could be, yet we are stuck in the finite concrete of reality.
- The quickest path to greener grass is to tend to your lawn.
- Success comes from repeated failure. If you want fertile soil, mix in manure.
- Say what you know is unsaid.
My Latest LOGS
January 4 If you're using metaphor to develop or explain an idea, choose one main metaphor, and return to it throughout the piece (like a theme). Too many comparisons and disjointed figurative language will muddy the message and prevent your reader from having any concrete takeaways (partly because each new metaphor carries a hefty context-load).
To omit the truth is not a lie. But if you're asked a direct question about the truth and aren't willing to reveal it, the only honest answer is to decline to answer. As soon as you prevaricate, you compromise your honesty.
prevaricate (v.) to avoid giving a direct answer or deviate from the truth (The child chose to prevaricate when asked who had broken the vase.)
Passing interactions and long-term relationships both have great potential, but relationships have a different degree of effect. At best, a single interaction could lead to a revelatory conversation or an unforgettable experience, or it could lear to a relationship. At best, a relationship is the medium through which you approach the best possible version of yourself. One is day-changing, the other life-changing.
I don't prioritize myself above all else. I prioritize my future self above all else.